PDA

View Full Version : No oil on dipstick

MIKESZONE2
04-26-2013, 12:27 AM
Hello to all
I am seeking advise on a question regarding a oil check on a 2012 RT SM-5 about 7,500 miles. I know I was bad and admit not checking oil for at least 1,000 miles yeah I know that is sorry. Anyway when I came in from a nice long ride I checked oil in garage. I shut engine, restarted it and ran for about 1 min, as it was running I pulled off panel then shut engine. Waited about 1 minute pulled stick and behold not any signs of oil on the stick. Ok checked o ring all is good, added oil and repeated steps again. Rechecked and now level was going up but I was only at the add mark. Added more oil and repeated the steps came up a little higher but still not even half way. Mind you I am adding little at a time as not to overfill it. Added more oil repeated steps and now was just under the full mark, well I am happy with that so I cleaned everything up and put the panel back on. My question is if the oil level was so low why did I not get a low oil pressure light. The spyder ran fine all along, no shifting problems or anything. Yes I know I will go back to checking level every 600 miles. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank guys, be safe out there.

Sincerely Mike

Bob Ledford
04-26-2013, 01:36 AM
. I panicked I had a similar experience several weeks ago. However I had been checking mine weekly. It disappeared off the dipstick. So I took it real slow down to the dealer 2 miles away and Mark, Service Manager, came out to retrain me . He was wondering to as it was dry. So we went through the drill again. This time he did it! Still dry? So he went for oil and funnel . Started to fill it up in steps. Rechecking it each time. It did not take but two sips. Estimated 2oz. Which in my opinion is not low on oil just a short dipstick.

but it gets your attention don't it??? :banghead:

ulflyer
04-26-2013, 06:55 AM
Mine was down to the add oil mark and took 4 oz to bring it up half way. Thats where I like to keep it. I'm trying to remember to write down how much and at what intervals I add oil.

NancysToy
04-26-2013, 07:24 AM
I'm sure the short dipstick is just there to get your attention! Seriously, though, it is unnerving until you get used to it. There are a couple of things you should remember, though. First, when chcking oil the dipstick is supposed to be screwed in all the way. Failing to do so will make the level appear low...or could fail to register on the stick. Second, this is s dry-sump system. It draws oil from the tank and pumps it through the engine before returning it to the tank. As long as there is a fair amount of oil in the tank, you should not experience low oil pressure. If a low level does cause a low pressure warning, you will certainly be more than a few ounces low. BTW, I'd like to commend you on your technique of sneaking up on the level. That is the right thing to do. Some owners might panic, add a lot of oil, and overfill as a result.

beanoil
04-26-2013, 07:38 AM
I'm waiting for one of the companies to offer a kit for a visual check where there is a t fitting installed on the oil line at the bottom of the tank, and a vertical clear tube that runs up the tank wall on the outside. But until that happens, I'll just keep checking it frequently.

NancysToy
04-26-2013, 08:40 AM
I'm waiting for one of the companies to offer a kit for a visual check where there is a t fitting installed on the oil line at the bottom of the tank, and a vertical clear tube that runs up the tank wall on the outside. But until that happens, I'll just keep checking it frequently.
Tube sight glasses have an uncanny propensity to leak...based on my years of experience with them in machinery applications. What I'd rather see would be a welded in, tapped opening at oil level, with a screw-in, eye-type sight glass...ala BMW and some other brands. Easy to check if there is a corresponding sight hole in the fairing.

Jeriatric
04-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Have heard early on some of the tanks were plumbed for a site gauge? Never saw one myself.

The KTM has a site gauge built into the tank. It's about as wide as a pencil and half as long. Really, really, like it. To get a good reading the bike needs to be on level ground, off the stand, and centered. Would work great on the Spyder. Cause the spyder would only need to be on level ground.

Maybe one day?

danlnc
04-26-2013, 10:20 AM
I used to complain about the oil sight tube on my Vulcan Nomad, with no center stand, until I got the Spyder, now I wish I had it. Don't know what you got till its gone. lol

Chupaca
04-26-2013, 11:50 AM
my old wing had a quarter size sight glass and dip stick. Center stand and look your done. Even if you have to pull the panel off it would be great..!! :thumbup:

jerpinoy
04-26-2013, 12:02 PM
Good thing nothing bad happened to your :spyder2:. I wonder if we can drill a hole on the dipstick so it's easy to see the oil.

bruiser
04-26-2013, 12:22 PM
Agree with Scotty. Would rather have that type of site gauge. Had one on my electric compressor. Real easy to see oil level.

asp125
04-26-2013, 12:36 PM
How hard would it be to drill and tap the tank for a sight glass? Sight glasses aren't expensive ($5-$20 ish). I suppose the real trick would be measuring it just right to drill that first hole in the exact location! :shocked:

Sarge707
04-26-2013, 05:05 PM
Hello to all
I am seeking advise on a question regarding a oil check on a 2012 RT SM-5 about 7,500 miles. I know I was bad and admit not checking oil for at least 1,000 miles yeah I know that is sorry. Anyway when I came in from a nice long ride I checked oil in garage. I shut engine, restarted it and ran for about 1 min, as it was running I pulled off panel then shut engine. Waited about 1 minute pulled stick and behold not any signs of oil on the stick. Ok checked o ring all is good, added oil and repeated steps again. Rechecked and now level was going up but I was only at the add mark. Added more oil and repeated the steps came up a little higher but still not even half way. Mind you I am adding little at a time as not to overfill it. Added more oil repeated steps and now was just under the full mark, well I am happy with that so I cleaned everything up and put the panel back on. My question is if the oil level was so low why did I not get a low oil pressure light. The spyder ran fine all along, no shifting problems or anything. Yes I know I will go back to checking level every 600 miles. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank guys, be safe out there.

Sincerely Mike

I just checked the Manual and its says, Idle at least 30 seconds, Stop engine and check oil level- Waiting a Minute after the idle period is NOT mentioned and could allow the oil level to go down MORE than what the manual states.:dontknow:

NancysToy
04-26-2013, 07:51 PM
How hard would it be to drill and tap the tank for a sight glass? Sight glasses aren't expensive ($5-$20 ish). I suppose the real trick would be measuring it just right to drill that first hole in the exact location! :shocked:
The tank is not thick enough to thread. A bung would have to be welded in. The possibility of getting slag in the tank would be a bit scary, unless it was thoroughly cleaned afterward. In addition, the level to install the bung at would be tricky to calculate. I don't think this would make a good do-it-yourself project...or I would already have done it.

I just checked the Manual and its says, Idle at least 30 seconds, Stop engine and check oil level- Waiting a Minute after the idle period is NOT mentioned and could allow the oil level to go down MORE than what the manual states.:dontknow:
It does not say to check the level immediately, or within any specific period of time. The purpose of running the engine is to evacuate any oil that has leaked back to the sump, and pump it to the tank. Checking the oil too quickly can result in reading too high a level, due to entrapped air bubbles taht dissipate slowly with some oils. There is nothing wrong with checking in 30-60 seconds...or probably not even in five minutes if your return check is working properly.

Sarge707
04-26-2013, 08:59 PM
The tank is not thick enough to thread. A bung would have to be welded in. The possibility of getting slag in the tank would be a bit scary, unless it was thoroughly cleaned afterward. In addition, the level to install the bung at would be tricky to calculate. I don't think this would make a good do-it-yourself project...or I would already have done it.

It does not say to check the level immediately, or within any specific period of time. The purpose of running the engine is to evacuate any oil that has leaked back to the sump, and pump it to the tank. Checking the oil too quickly can result in reading too high a level, due to entrapped air bubbles taht dissipate slowly with some oils. There is nothing wrong with checking in 30-60 seconds...or probably not even in five minutes if your return check is working properly.

Then this should be put in the Manual??? It says Run engine to temperature- Shut Off engine- Start engine and Idle for at Least 30 Seconds- Check oil level!!! It does Not say to wait 30 or 60 seconds or 5 minutes!

NancysToy
04-26-2013, 09:13 PM
[/COLOR]
Then this should be put in the Manual??? It says Run engine to temperature- Shut Off engine- Start engine and Idle for at Least 30 Seconds- Check oil level!!! It does Not say to wait 30 or 60 seconds or 5 minutes!
It also does not say how quick you have to be. Do it whatever way you want. There is no need to throw a hissy fit! There is also nobody around to critic you chosen method. If it leaks back so far in a minute that it disappears off the stick, you have a problem with your return check valve. It is not supposed to do that so quickly.

lmstex
04-26-2013, 09:20 PM
Your lucky!! I check mine every 350 miles...

wyliec
04-26-2013, 09:31 PM
I don't have my manual in front of me. Tell me if I'm doing something wrong when I check my oil. As an example, after an hour ride, I return and park the spyder (place in neutral) with engine still running. I then remove the panel (2008 SM5 spyder) and dipstick, engine still running. I wipe dipstick and turn engine off and replace and remove dipstick to check the oil.

Sarge707
04-27-2013, 12:45 PM
:dontknow: There,s More than enough advice above for you to come to your own conclusion??:yikes::dontknow::roflblack::roflblack ::roflblack:

MIKESZONE2
04-27-2013, 02:11 PM
I would just like to take some time to thank you for all your inputs to my thread. Looks like we could all learn something here and I hope others did as well. I know I checked oil level correctly and filled correctly according to all if you. I just need to be more proactive and check every 500-600 miles. Thanks again for everybody who took the time to respond. What a awesome team here on spyder lovers. Everybody ride safe. I would like to take a minute to pray with everybody.
Dear God
We As your children gathered here before you ask that you bless all your kids riding these spyders, I ask that you give them a 3 second leeway to get out of harms way, and that you keep all these spyders free from hazards on the road. Please be with everybody as they are riding from various destinations to both Spyderfest and any bike feasts, keep them all safe and out of harms way both their and back. In Jesus name I pray, Amen
God Bless you all, sincerely Mike

mcaccamise
04-27-2013, 02:54 PM
Amen Mike

kubie
04-27-2013, 08:02 PM
Amen Sir!!

thehawk
04-27-2013, 08:35 PM
tnx, mike!!!

thehawk