PDA

View Full Version : Electric guru's, need your help, part II - power wire for 2 led's on dash...

Riker
06-19-2013, 06:04 PM
Hi guys, I went to do as suggested but don't see the color.... "I would tap into the red/orange wire that powers the fuel gauge or temp gauge lights." .. here is a pic of the wires... its a 2011 RS .. thanks for any help, just need a power source for 2 led lights to act as dash lights... which wire is on the ignition switch and powered when "turned on"...thanks !!!!70189 I initially mis-read , and tapped the orange/brown wire, and when I hooked up the ground, it was on constantly... with key on or off...so not that one :p Edit: Used the black ground in the cluster, same result... both orange have constant power on..

NancysToy
06-19-2013, 06:15 PM
The running lights on the Spyder are the plain orange wires.

Riker
06-19-2013, 06:25 PM
I tapped/tried both the orange ones, and when I touch it to what appears to be ground, it stays lit whether key on or off:dontknow: Edit.. Is there a ground wire in this cluster, maybe I am tapping the wrong one for ground??

NancysToy
06-19-2013, 07:06 PM
I tapped/tried both the orange ones, and when I touch it to what appears to be ground, it stays lit whether key on or off:dontknow: Edit.. Is there a ground wire in this cluster, maybe I am tapping the wrong one for ground??

Black is ground on the Spyder.

Riker
06-19-2013, 07:08 PM
Then back to square one... need a wire that is switched and not always powered... ?? Thanks though :D both orange always powered...

mcaccamise
06-19-2013, 07:42 PM
Why not run it off the accessory wires switched in the fuse box the wires are tied under the left front shock and can be run to the dash the same as a 12v outlet for phone,gps ect.
Mike

NancysToy
06-19-2013, 07:43 PM
It appears you were trying to tap into the harness that feeds the cluster on an RS. I'd suggest you use the switched accessory harness that feeds the front trunk's optional 12V outlet. It is most easily accessed by removing the trunk, but may be able to be reached through the left wheel well. If you do not have the optional outlet installed, the harness is tied to the left front, top suspension support arm. You will have to put a 3 amp fuse in the appropriate slot in the fusebox to activate the circuit. Easy to tap the lights in the dash on an RT, but more difficult on the RS.

mcaccamise
06-19-2013, 07:45 PM
Yes i do concur sir.

Riker
06-19-2013, 08:04 PM
Thanks, and sorry to waste time... Will go tomorrow and look for this power source. I am on a mission now... queue the music....:thumbup:

NancysToy
06-19-2013, 09:11 PM
Thanks, and sorry to waste time... Will go tomorrow and look for this power source. I am on a mission now... queue the music....:thumbup:
The harness you are looking for has a violet/yellow wire and a black one, both 20 ga. The connector is a t-connector, to fit a 12V outlet. It has a rubber boot.

Riker
06-19-2013, 09:29 PM
The harness you are looking for has a violet/yellow wire and a black one, both 20 ga. The connector is a t-connector, to fit a 12V outlet. It has a rubber boot.
Thank you, that helps a lot... slowly learning... luckily know enough not to mess it up ( I stop, lol )...

Bob Denman
06-20-2013, 07:39 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_6_8.gif We'll be waiting to hear how all of this works out; Good Luck! :thumbup:

Riker
06-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Woohooo, got it ... now I need the sun to go down... anyone help with that? :joke: Will take pictures and show in new post later... I installed 2 blue LEDs....70260

Bob Denman
06-20-2013, 02:48 PM
The night time; is the right time! :congrats: