PDA

View Full Version : BREAKS

jtpollock
07-17-2014, 09:08 AM
OK for the past week I have been getting a Brake failure when I am going downhill and let off the throttle, when I accelerate the light and message goes off. I have 37,000 plus miles on my 2012 RS the rear pad was replaced at 30,000 miles. Any input would be much appreciated... I am alco looking for instruction on the pad replacement for both front and rear pads :pray::banghead: thanks jtpolllock
I tried to fix my spelling error yall knew what I was looking for.

ARCTIC
07-17-2014, 09:09 AM
I think this thread is about BRAKES not breaks:roflblack:

wyliec
07-17-2014, 09:21 AM
I think this thread is about BRAKES not breaks:roflblack:

That'll mess up the search function.

Chupaca
07-17-2014, 09:26 AM
looks like your fluid level may be low so at an angle going down the sensor senses low fluid. Check it and add to the fullest even if it looks full. Check sensor connections at the pedal and reservoirs as well as park brake and last make sure your foot is off the brake on the down hills till needed...:thumbup:

Omcge
07-17-2014, 09:28 AM
OK for the past week I have been getting a Break failure when I am going downhill and let off the throttle, when I accelerate the light and message goes off. I have 37,000 plus miles on my 2012 RS the rear pad was replaced at 30,000 miles. Any input would be much appreciated... I am alco looking for instruction on the pad replacement for both front and rear pads :pray::banghead: thanks jtpolllock

Check the Brake fluid, it's probably low.

Tazzel
07-17-2014, 11:03 AM
My RS SE5 had this error allot and it was always going low on front brake fluid. I would always have to add because this "brake failure" light would flash intermittently. Finally at my 9200 service I told the service department again that it sure seemed to use allot of brake fluid. This time the tech checked it out and they said they traced the leak back and saw that the reservoir was leaking and they replaced it under warranty.

jtpollock
07-17-2014, 11:10 AM
My RS SE5 had this error allot and it was always going low on front brake fluid. I would always have to add because this "brake failure" light would flash intermittently. Finally at my 9200 service I told the service department again that it sure seemed to use allot of brake fluid. This time the tech checked it out and they said they traced the leak back and saw that the reservoir was leaking and they replaced it under warranty. I am in CASTLE ROCK which dealer did you go to with RPM's shop rate I am reluctant to take it to them.

Bob Denman
07-17-2014, 11:11 AM
:agree: Wearing the pads down, can set off the alarms for low brake fluid...
It does sound as if you're ready for another set of them! :thumbup:
That's just the "Breaks"... :D

finless
07-17-2014, 11:38 AM
At 8500 on my RT I had to add a little fluid as it was on the low mark on the tank and if I stopped quick the light would go on. Pretty common. Pads wear down a little, caliper pistons thus have to go farther out, calipers now have more fluid in them, tank has less. Same with all cars/SUVs I have ever owned. You have to add fluid as pads wear down.

Bob

freebob
07-17-2014, 12:28 PM
:agree: Wearing the pads down, can set off the alarms for low brake fluid...
It does sound as if you're ready for another set of them! :thumbup:
That's just the "Breaks"... :D

Not likely With 7K on new rear pads...More than likely brake fluid just needs topping off... Unless his front pads need replacing

Freebob...:doorag:

Bob Denman
07-17-2014, 01:04 PM
The rears can go pretty fast... I replaced mine at 6,000 miles.

freebob
07-17-2014, 01:30 PM
The rears can go pretty fast... I replaced mine at 6,000 miles.

Really.... I replaced Rear Pads at over 20k they still had plenty of pad left well within thickness limits...But finally got tired of squeal....

Freebob...:doorag:

Bob Denman
07-17-2014, 01:45 PM
I was De-Squalling mine when I replaced them...
...But they were pretty much used-up anyway! :shocked:
I would NOT have gotten them to 9,000 miles. :banghead:

Tazzel
07-17-2014, 02:06 PM
I am in CASTLE ROCK which dealer did you go to with RPM's shop rate I am reluctant to take it to them.

It was RPM but there was no charge. Yes RPM is extremely high because they have you by the balls if your not willing to travel. On the flip side, I believe they are the best in the area. I'm thinking that I will travel to Fremont in Florence for my 14k service I can save more then 500.00 on that alone if I go to Fremont. Do you have any experience with Fremont?

ARtraveler
07-17-2014, 02:09 PM
As some others have mentioned it sounds a bit like low fluid. Have had that happen to me a couple times when descending steep mountain inclines. :yikes: Wakes you up quick. :yes:

RE: brake pad mileage--I have never had to replace brake pads on any machines yet. Had 36K on the 2010. But--that is just me. Dealer said they were ok when the 2010 was brought in for its spring seasonal check up.

jtpollock
07-18-2014, 06:45 AM
OK for the past week I have been getting a Brake failure when I am going downhill and let off the throttle, when I accelerate the light and message goes off. I have 37,000 plus miles on my 2012 RS the rear pad was replaced at 30,000 miles. Any input would be much appreciated... I am alco looking for instruction on the pad replacement for both front and rear pads :pray::banghead: thanks jtpolllock
I tried to fix my spelling error yall knew what I was looking for. THANKS all for your input turns out I was 2 t-spoons low on the rear reservoir. I still have not found a how to on the replacement for both sets of pads. jtpollock

BajaRon
07-18-2014, 08:42 AM
Most replace their brake pads (and tires for that matter) too soon because they 'Look' worn out.

If your pads have at least the thickness of a dime they are still well within service limits. Granted, on every other vehicle I've ever owned, that would be 'Worn Out'. But not so on the Spyder. Couple this with the fact that brake pads wear more quickly when new and more slowly as they wear down. It's not a linear wear pattern.

On the other hand I understand that if you've already got them off it may be easier to just replace them.

Deanna777
07-18-2014, 06:49 PM
I have a 2012RTS-SE5, last week-end I had a "Brake Failure "on my screen, and also, had a Red warning light on my screen meaning the same thing. I had my brakes replaced last year, when my spyder was in Winter Storage.

Not sure of the mileage when my brakes were replaced. Yesterday Mike( Blueknight911) put in DOT 4 brake fluid only a teaspoon. I do not have the " Brake Failure warning light / or the Red Warning light on my screen.

Check your brake fluid.

Deanna777