PDA

View Full Version : New Spyder trick

shunkmanitu
03-27-2009, 01:42 PM
This last round of rain hit before I was able to get the Spyder covered so it sat overnight open to the elements. About 4:45 this morning I opened the door and was looking at the wet Spyder when lighting hit about half a mile away. As my eyes recovered from the flash I noticed the headlights were on. I stepped out and blipped the right handle bar switch and they went out and remained out.

docdoru
03-27-2009, 01:43 PM
:yikes:

FANG
03-27-2009, 01:53 PM
This last round of rain hit before I was able to get the Spyder covered so it sat overnight open to the elements. About 4:45 this morning I opened the door and was looking at the wet Spyder when lighting hit about half a mile away. As my eyes recovered from the flash I noticed the headlights were on. I stepped out and blipped the right handle bar switch and they went out and remained out.

Coyote

Have you been able to get out and start Ikome Luta? I hope everything is okay. Stay dry

sleepman
03-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Mine started doing that with about 600 miles on it. Got caught in a couple of our heavy Florida rains and when I would turn off the Spyder the lights would turn off and on and hitting the button on the bars would put them out.

Eventually I replaced the headlight relay and haven't had a problem since.

patches
03-27-2009, 03:36 PM
Time to build a garage for you stuff. Mine only gets wet if I am on it when it rains. I hate taking everything off and cleaning..got it down to 2 hours to detail the entire bike now. I even took an old school chalk board and make hooks in it to hang the panels while I clean the inside. I took it in the shop the other day very very clean..dude said..dang..did you just get this out of the crate. I said, now you know how I expect it back. You better use clean gloves. Glad you spydie is OK.

aubierules
03-27-2009, 03:42 PM
well ill be over in ur neck of the woods tomorrow picking up my spyder from P.M.S

shunkmanitu
03-27-2009, 04:05 PM
well ill be over in ur neck of the woods tomorrow picking up my spyder from P.M.S
Seen at the show!
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=1625&albumid=14&dl=1238187838&thumb=1 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=14&pictureid=1625)

NancysToy
03-27-2009, 04:35 PM
I certainly hope this is not the start of something, and clears up for you. It is certainly a new trick. I hope you are not offended, but I laughed out loud when I read it. A couple of years back, I got caught in a heavy rain at Vintage Motorcycle Days at Mid-Ohio. My 1972 BMW and I made it back just fine, went through the afternoon at the rest of the show, then rode over to the campground. After I turned it off, and we were fixing dinner, Nancy said "You left your lights on." Sure enough, they were on, but the switch was off. After some fiddling, I got them out for good. Since then, it has happened again, even in dry weather. It was so startling last time, also at Mid-Ohio, I nearly jumped out of my skin. We were sitting around the campsite late in the evening, four hours after my last ride, when we were suddlenly lit up. The headlights just came on, right out of nowhere! Maybe they're just trying to tell us they're lonely. :dontknow: ........or could be leprechauns.
-Scotty

baldev
03-27-2009, 04:42 PM
My bikes, car and truck are meant to be ridden, they get soaked in rain and sometimes wet in mud and snow. They are never treated as pets tho are respected when I ride em. Washed and kept outdoors, never treated as a living thing.

Ride em drive em enjoy them and soak em.

They breath only when I want them to.;) Mine are dead.

aubierules
03-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Seen at the show!
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=1625&albumid=14&dl=1238187838&thumb=1 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=14&pictureid=1625)

freakin sweet!!!http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=156&pictureid=1623 :D

shunkmanitu
03-28-2009, 06:59 AM
I certainly hope this is not the start of something, and clears up for you. It is certainly a new trick. I hope you are not offended, but I laughed out loud when I read it. A couple of years back, I got caught in a heavy rain at Vintage Motorcycle Days at Mid-Ohio. My 1972 BMW and I made it back just fine, went through the afternoon at the rest of the show, then rode over to the campground. After I turned it off, and we were fixing dinner, Nancy said "You left your lights on." Sure enough, they were on, but the switch was off. After some fiddling, I got them out for good. Since then, it has happened again, even in dry weather. It was so startling last time, also at Mid-Ohio, I nearly jumped out of my skin. We were sitting around the campsite late in the evening, four hours after my last ride, when we were suddlenly lit up. The headlights just came on, right out of nowhere! Maybe they're just trying to tell us they're lonely. :dontknow: ........or could be leprechauns.
-Scotty

We still have tornado watch and warnings out along with thunder storms. The damage in Baja Alabama between CR 85 and CR 87 at US 90 was about two miles west of our place. It should dry out by this afternoon! I did start it and check the N/R/N/1st and the readouts.

Of course out thunder boomers will set off alarms in cars and condos. I have even heard of cases where the remote start trigered on some cars. Had a buddy with a loud HD that used to run the parking lots of a couple of law offices after a messy divorce. A couple of blips and most of the alarms and their remote pagers would interrupt procedings!

jeuchler
03-28-2009, 09:02 AM
...It is certainly a new trick....
-Scotty

I walked from the parking lot at work past a car with it's reverse lights on. No driver. I thought "That's cool!"

(My Dakota's headlights stay on after you shut the engine, just long enough, they say, to light the way for you walking to your house. But what if you've parked facing away from your house? )

Sure enough, the car's taillights went out in about 15 seconds.

So shunkmanitu, though I haven't seen mention of it in the manual, apparently it's a feature.

Just for when it rains a lot. :joke:

Biker
03-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Well, since reading this thread I had to reply. I live in PA and trailering the Spyder to Daytona Bike Week was a must since it was 28 degrees when I left. On the way down we hit horrendous rain for two solid days. The second day after stopping to stretch my kidneys, I returned seeing my headlights were on. I thought I was seeing things. Nope, there they were. I fiddled with the switches a bit and had figured that they got waterlogged and shorted out the switch. It hasn't done it since. As soon as everything dried out from the water blast on the trailer, they seemed fine. Hmmmmm......Just wanted to relay that to you. :chill: