Spyder Garage

Cool Found Engine Serial # on 2013 ST, but CHP does not agree! Any advice?

New to the Forum. Nice to be here.
    In the manual it shows where the Rotax engine serial number is exactly. Using a flashlight, mirror, and removing 3 covers I could clearly see a raised 7-digit number right where it’s supposed to be. My local CHP mechanic disagrees and says it must be a stamped-in number. He will not verify it. I’ve seen photos of the 990 series twins with a stamped-in (looks like tiny stars) serial number. My 2013 Rotax 998 is not like that. I can’t see anything like that in this area by the drive pulley, Engine backside.
    Any advice? CA is always an issue. It took 6 weeks to get the appointment with the CHP, 2 miles from my house. My temp will run out in 2 weeks.
    Thanks for any ideas.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-24-2024 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

I can't resist saying "welcome to California." I do not recall anyone living there having issues with serial numbers on engines. Maybe you got a "live one" for an inspector. This is a 2013 machine, so it must have been certified before in CA?

Hopefully someone from the area will be able to give some good advice. The machine has only been around for 10 years or so. And NOW, there is a problem?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Move to Tennessee. That's what I did. X- Chula Vista, El Cajon, & Flinn Springs resident. The El Cajon DMV is a zoo. And I never had any luck with the CHP people approving anything. They have no clue what they are talking about but they are always right. And my brick wall listens better than they do.

I've got some amazing horror stories. But unless you've lived in CA, they are hard to believe.

In short... Good Luck!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-24-2024 at 02:50 PM.
    Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

BajaRons@BajaRons.com
    423-609-7588

Spyder Garage

I can see the mechanics's skepticism. Raised characters would require a change to the mold for each part. I've only seen raised numbers as a mold ID or part number.

Contact BRP Support to find a different location to look. Even if that is the real number, they're going to have to be involved to change CHP procedures or standards to recognize this.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-24-2024 at 04:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post

I can't resist saying "welcome to California." I do not recall anyone living there having issues with serial numbers on engines. Maybe you got a "live one" for an inspector. This is a 2013 machine, so it must have been certified before in CA?

Hopefully someone from the area will be able to give some good advice. The machine has only been around for 10 years or so. And NOW, there is a problem?
    Forgot to mention I bought this in Las Vegas. As far as I know, there are only two other states that require an Engine ID verification number. I emailed BRP down in Mexico where it looks like they made the 998. I’ll try a different CHP office. Thanks for the sympathy. CA is crazy sometimes.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-24-2024 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Removed Post title - many can't even see them; they mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Thank you BajaRon & budC. I did email BRP with the question, but I only got an auto reply. I’ll try harder to find a stamped number. Just means taking more things apart. I really like riding this wild thing, so I’ll do a little more work.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-24-2024 at 04:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    ...unless you've lived in CA, they are hard to believe.
    I was born and raised in S. California, and escaped more than 25 years ago.

I encountered someone in Indiana who was surprised I had moved out of California, and they told me they had always dreamed of living there. I asked where they had visited in California, and they said they'd never been there, but loved "Beverly Hills 90210".

That comment still makes my eyes want to roll...

I remember needing to renew the registration on a 1967 Volkswagon van, and California required me to get an emissions test done because of its age.
    The original engine had long since died and been replaced by an engine with a larger displacement, a dual carburetor setup, and dual Thunderbird exhaust system.
    I took it to the test station, and the guy looked into the engine compartment, and said "You have too many carburetors."
    But he tested it anyways, and it passed the emissions test.

After he gave me the certificate, he told me that was the lowest emissions he had ever seen on an air-cooled VW engine.

I sold the VW before I moved to Indiana, as I couldn't live with idea of exposing it to road salt in the winters.

Move to Tennessee.....
    I agree!

I've lived in Tennessee for... uh... a while now. First in the Nashville area, and have since been in Cookeville, TN for almost 10 years.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-24-2024 at 04:24 PM.
    2024 CAN-AM Celtic Spyder RT Sea to Sky
    2023 Honda Ridgeline Sport

Spyder Garage

Thanks. I’ve have other issues like clutch bucking in 1st (not the normal clunk)
    so I’ll break it down a little farther and see if I can find a stamped engine ID.

Spyder Garage

Does this help?

Engine Serial.jpg
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tomguitar View Post
    Forgot to mention I bought this in Las Vegas. As far as I know, there are only two other states that require an Engine ID verification number. I emailed BRP down in Mexico where it looks like they made the 998. I’ll try a different CHP office. Thanks for the sympathy. CA is crazy sometimes.
    Rotax makes the engine and they are in Austria. The Spyder is made in Valcort, CA. Usually, Mexico only does assembly. How did you come by the Mexico information?
    Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

BajaRons@BajaRons.com
    423-609-7588

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rotax makes the engine and they are in Austria. The Spyder is made in Valcort, CA. Usually, Mexico only does assembly. How did you come by the Mexico information?
    Where's Valcort, CA. Ron? I couldn't find it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Where's Valcort, CA. Ron? I couldn't find it.
    I am thinking he meant CAnada here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

CAN-AM North American Corporate Headquarters are in Valcourt, Quebec, Canada

726, rue Saint-Joseph
    Valcourt, Quebec J0E 2L0
    Canada
    2024 CAN-AM Celtic Spyder RT Sea to Sky
    2023 Honda Ridgeline Sport

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I am thinking he meant CAnada here.
    I know I'm just jerking his chain a little.

Spyder Garage

Good news guys. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
    After much scrubbing with a wire brush (7"handle to reach in) some solvent and rags at the end of the brush, I finally could see the correct punched in engine serial number. I will proudly be showing the CHP mechanic in few days. My legality is near at hand. LOL!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-26-2024 at 07:38 PM. Reason: 209563 - see the Warning Sticky & PM!

Spyder Garage

Good job! If that's not good enough for them, you could get someone with BUDS to print out a report for you. It shows engine ID also. See below. Image edited to protect my customer's VIN!!

Engine id.jpg
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tomguitar View Post
    Good news guys. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
    Please read the WARNING Sticky at the top of this section about publishing personal &/or unique identifiers on the Forum - it's not such a great idea!

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...e-Public-Pages

PM also sent!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thank you. good to know.