Spyder Garage

Default Are there any Lift kits available for RT's? Something to raise ride height?

Does anyone make a lift kit for a 2017 RTS?

I am not looking for one for the garage, I'm looking for something to raise ride height
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-22-2024 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)
    2017 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Typically, you don't need (or want) to raise the ride height. What you want to do is MAINTAIN original ride height. Let's say you start out with 5" of clearance from the ground to the nose of your RT. Then you load the front trunk, etc., and get on the bike. Now you are down to 3.5 or 4" of ground clearance depending on weight. How do you recover this lost ride height (not to mention original front end alignment). Well, with adjustable front shocks, of course! But BRP engineers (you know, those guys who are never wrong!) they say you don't need adjustable front shocks.

There are basically 2 ways to achieve this. 1- Get any aftermarket shock set. They use different engineers who think you DO need adjustable front shocks. 2- Get our shock adjuster kit which converts your OEM units to adjustable shocks. You will be amazed at the difference. Not only will this modification give you more initial ground clearance. But it also reduces dive when going over bumps or into a steep driveway approach. Which effectively increases ground clearance even more. With the added benefit that your Sypder will handle better than it did before.

Of course, BRP could have done this at the factory for pennies on the dollar. But when you factor in the bean counters, you have a much better idea of why your Spyder does not have this very important feature right out of the box.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-22-2024 at 10:07 AM.
    Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

BajaRons@BajaRons.com
    423-609-7588

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Typically, you don't need (or want) to raise the ride height. What you want to do is MAINTAIN original ride height. There are basically 2 ways to achieve this. 1- Get any aftermarket shock set. They use different engineers who think you DO need adjustable front shocks. 2- Get our shock adjuster kit which converts your OEM units to adjustable shocks. .....
    For sure! That's exactly what I did shortly after I bought my spyder. I could hardly believe how such a simple improvement made such a big difference in handling. Adding Ron's swaybar made things even better.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-22-2024 at 04:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

Does anyone make a lift kit for a 2017 Spyder RTS to improve ride height
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-22-2024 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Removed Post title after merge - they mess with Searching! ;-)
    2017 Spyder RT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Get a pair of Elka shocks.

Spyder Garage

How much do they increase the ride height?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-22-2024 at 04:18 PM.
    2017 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Not sure why you started a new thread for this question. Why not stick with the 1st edition?

Maybe we should ask why you want the additional lift. What are you trying to accomplish?
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-22-2024 at 03:48 PM.

BajaRons@BajaRons.com
    423-609-7588

Spyder Garage

Just as an aside, I installed heavier duty Ikon shocks on the front and adjusted the sag slightly, to give me just under an extra half inch of clearance once mounted, and added some Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 front tyres to give me a slightly higher aspect. In total, this has raised the front by just under an inch, and even with this small lift I no longer contact the ground, whether it be over potholes, driveways, speed humps etc, etc.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round, with sag adjusted for extra 3/8” clearance up front
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Just as an aside, I installed heavier duty Ikon shocks on the front and adjusted the sag slightly, to give me just under an extra half inch of clearance once mounted, and added some Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 front tyres to give me a slightly higher aspect. In total, this has raised the front by just under an inch, and even with this small lift I no longer contact the ground, whether it be over potholes, driveways, speed humps etc, etc.

Pete
    That is what I am getting at. The combination of sag and dive created by the weak spring preload makes it seem like you need to jack the RT up quite a bit to keep from bottoming out and hitting things. But that's not true. And if you go much above stock, unloaded ride height you begin to introduce handling issues that you may not want. This, even after getting the front end realignment that you're going to need.

For almost everyone, just firming up the suspension (I don't mean stiff) and getting back to stock, empty ride height is all they ever need. This retains and enhances the nice cushy ride, improves handling, and saves the front and undercarriage of your Spyder.

BajaRons@BajaRons.com
    423-609-7588

Spyder Garage

Not sure why you started a new thread for this question. Why not stick with the 1st edition?

Maybe we should ask why you want the additional lift. What are you trying to accomplish?

More ground clearance
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-22-2024 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display, so we know who/what question you're answering... ;-)
    2017 Spyder RT

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I got a little more than 1/2 of an inch when I installed Wilbers shocks on my F3.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

You are only going to be able to lift you bike so far because of the travel in your arms and shock lengths, not to mention what you're going to do to your ride quality, so be careful how far you take it. Do you do a lot of rough roads? Why are you bottoming out enough to warrant a lift kit? If it's just your garage build an apron in front of the door to transition into it!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by airmen2090 View Post
    More ground clearance
    OK, I think we got that. But for what? Off road rock climbing or just normal street riding? Do you want a Monster Truck ride or just something that doesn't bottom out over speed bumps and steep driveway approaches?

BajaRons@BajaRons.com
    423-609-7588

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After you scrape it the first time you should know, from then on how to recognize hazards and approach and avoid them. I've scraped mine only twice. The second time was my own dam fault. Mine is a 14 RT and I've done very well for a long time. But, I guess it's like a kid touching a hot stove the second time to see if it's still hot. "Dumb T Dumb Dumb." LOL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    After you scrape it the first time you should know, from then on how to recognize hazards and approach and avoid them. I've scraped mine only twice. The second time was my own dam fault. Mine is a 14 RT and I've done very well for a long time. But, I guess it's like a kid touching a hot stove the second time to see if it's still hot. "Dumb T Dumb Dumb." LOL
    Yes, you can ride carefully, understanding when, where, and how to approach a possible damaging event. Nothing wrong with it. This is originally why the Bump Skid under protection was developed. And though installing a Bump Skid is not a bad idea, it doesn't fully address the problem and will actually reduce your ground clearance even more. Some don't want to ride with an 'Egg Shell' mentality. They want a ride that will not hit the ground over what they feel are normal, everyday road surfaces. Some feel that you should not have to worry about scraping in these circumstances.

With reasonable options that will virtually cure the problem for good and improve overall handling in the process. It's just a matter of how you want to deal with it.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-23-2024 at 02:42 PM.

BajaRons@BajaRons.com
    423-609-7588

Spyder Garage

Yes, you can ride carefully, understanding when, where, and how to approach a possible damaging event. Nothing wrong with it. This is originally why the Bump Skid under protection was developed. And though installing a Bump Skid is not a bad idea, it doesn't fully address the problem and will actually reduce your ground clearance even more. Some don't want to ride with an 'Egg Shell' mentality. They want a ride that will not hit the ground over what they feel are normal, everyday road surfaces. Some feel that you should not have to worry about scraping in these circumstances.

With reasonable options that will virtually cure the problem for good and improve overall handling in the process. It's just a matter of how you want to deal with it.
    Just as another “aside”, Ron, it is interesting to note that it was the owner of Ikon shocks out here (who knows shocks, Spyders, and Aussie roads inside out. ) who suggested the minimal increase in sag and the slightly higher aspect tyres to reduce bottoming. Handling is no different to previous, and while I keep a wary eye out for Spyder swallowing potholes, I can ride far more freely than previously.

Pete
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-23-2024 at 07:46 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round, with sag adjusted for extra 3/8” clearance up front
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Just as another “aside”, Ron, it is interesting to note that it was the owner of Ikon shocks out here (who knows shocks, Spyders, and Aussie roads inside out. ) who suggested the minimal increase in sag and the slightly higher aspect tyres to reduce bottoming. Handling is no different to previous, and while I keep a wary eye out for Spyder swallowing potholes, I can ride far more freely than previously.

Pete
    Really? You improved the shocks which reduced front end lean and dive, and your handling did not change at all?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-23-2024 at 07:49 PM.

BajaRons@BajaRons.com
    423-609-7588