Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

First report of this failure on this forum seems to be here.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...t=broken+shaft
    Last edited by Freddy; 10-15-2024 at 01:39 AM.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bunson View Post
    I agree Ron. And that's my problem at the same time. I'm trying to sell my 2018. Do I say anything to prospective buyers. Do I wait until the bike is fixed? With knowing how long it took to get replacement drive sprockets in peoples hands this may take a year or two to be resolved.
    As I mentioned in my first post I wasn't aware of a problem, let alone one big enough to cause Can Am to address the situation on their own. Even a casual reader of this forum had to be aware of the drive sprocket problem.
    How bad do you want to sell it? I would say the cat's out of the bag now, and you may have some soul searching going forward. If you have one in that bunch of numbers, then you may have a paper weight if the buyer has any knowledge of what their buying. If BRP stands up and fixes all of the affected bikes like they said they would, then there will be no problem!! The only bad part is the everyone that has to go through this headache will lose their ride for a while.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

BRP definitely has a can of worms going with this one. It would be very good if they got this cleared up post-haste. But based on the much simpler front sprocket process. I'm not optimistic. I hope I am very wrong in that.
    Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

BajaRons@BajaRons.com
    423-609-7588

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bunson View Post
    I agree Ron. And that's my problem at the same time. I'm trying to sell my 2018. Do I say anything to prospective buyers. Do I wait until the bike is fixed? With knowing how long it took to get replacement drive sprockets in peoples hands this may take a year or two to be resolved.
    As I mentioned in my first post I wasn't aware of a problem, let alone one big enough to cause Can Am to address the situation on their own. Even a casual reader of this forum had to be aware of the drive sprocket problem.
    You’re probably looking at discounting at least 20% to even be considered against non affected similar year/equipped units. A prospective buyer would be buying into a real hassle. I would fix then sell.
    Last edited by AVBIZ; 10-15-2024 at 11:04 AM.

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3
    2022 Ural Sahara 2WD
    2023 Kawasaki Versys X-300

Spyder Garage

Interesting... when I go to look up my VIN, I get the message below. I bought the bike in January here in Texas.

I double checked my dealer records against the bike's sticker, the VIN is correct.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2019 Spyder RT Ltd. Bought in Jan 2024. Can-Am states only.

Slingmods USB and QuadLock phone mount with vibration dampener | Highway pegs
    Rear GENERAL ALTIMAX RT45 SL 225/60R-15 tire | Drink2Go front/rear Cupholders
    3D printed Turn Signal/Shifter caps | KOTT Grill covers
    LED Headlights | LED Foglights | High Mount Trunk brake/turn lights with brake strobe
    Pedal Box+ w/BT | Show Chrome gas shock for rear trunk
    Foam Grips | Red Rim Covers
    VIOFO MT1 Front/Rear Dash Cam system | Upper Radiator Exhaust Block (SpyderPops)
    ShowChrome Heavy Duty seat shock | RLS Cat/Primary Muffler Delete
    BRP Intake Air vents

Spyder Garage

Both of my 2018s show this recall incomplete!
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Allen42 View Post
    Interesting... when I go to look up my VIN, I get the message below. I bought the bike in January here in Texas.

I double checked my dealer records against the bike's sticker, the VIN is correct.
    They do not want a bunch of hot owners plugging their phone lines up; they want you to go totally through the dealer for this!! Not surprised to see that.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-15-2024 at 06:07 PM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    They do not want a bunch of hot owners plugging their phone lines up; they want you to go totally through the dealer for this!! Not surprised to see that.
    That was BRP's generic VIN search tool, not specific to this recall. I think that message indicates that BRP doesn't know anything about my bike... which is disturbing.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-15-2024 at 06:07 PM.

LED Headlights | LED Foglights | High Mount Trunk brake/turn lights with brake strobe
    VIOFO MT1 Front/Rear Dash Cam system | Upper Radiator Exhaust Block (SpyderPops)
    BRP Intake Air vents

Spyder Garage

If BRP stands up and fixes all of the affected bikes like they said they would, then there will be no problem!!

It is an NHTSA recall. They have no choice but to fix it.

Since it is only a small percentage of units, they should have a solution already, as they can use the same part that they used for the not affected units.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-15-2024 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Merged immediately consecutive posts posted in the same minute as each other?? :-/
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Is 8721 a small percentage? BRP were dragged in kicking and screaming after 1 unfortunate owner reported the safety issue related to loss of motion due to shaft breakage as stated in the NHTSA Cronology section and linked earlier in this thread.

Spyder Garage

My bike is a 2018 but did not get anything from BRP in regard to a recall.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-16-2024 at 08:07 AM.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    My bike is a 2018 but did not get anything from BRP in regard to a recall.
    The NHTSA reports says dealers are getting notified now, and owner notifications will go out in November.

BRP Intake Air vents

Spyder Garage

Here it is for Australia, only 479 to be done.

https://www.vehiclerecalls.gov.au/recalls/rec-006121
    Last edited by Freddy; 10-17-2024 at 06:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

The Australia recall starts with model year 2016, wonder why here it starts with model year 2017. It also includes the VIN’s.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YIRYDE View Post
    The Australia recall starts with model year 2016, wonder why here it starts with model year 2017. It also includes the VIN’s.
    A quick check with Google, and there are different standards for VIN numbers. And yes, it appears the USA uses it's own standard.

There are two known international standards for VIN – the ISO and the U.S. Standard FMVSS 115. The ISO covers all areas to ensure quality standards across the globe. With regards to the automobile industry, the ISO standard is set to help minimise and prevent crimes involving vehicles, with theft being the number one. ISO supplies the CRIN (Car Radio Identification Numbers) to prevent theft and to advocate standardisation of areas involving vehicle safety.

The US Standard comes in different formats from the ISO. It is covered by a wider bill on safety which includes driver safety, crash safety and road-worthiness.

Here in Australia, we follow the ISO 3779 VIN.
    https://www.evofilmshop.com/carmodel
    2024 CAN-AM Celtic Spyder RT Sea to Sky
    2023 Honda Ridgeline Sport