Spyder Garage

Default At what mileage did you buy your first set of replacement tires?

I've had my 2021 RT for almost 3 years, and I'm just short of 12,000 miles. I plan on getting an appointment for an oil change and service and wondered about tires. The two front ones look like they are still brand new. The rear tire looks a bit worn but still has what appears to be a lot of tread left. I don't baby the RT when I am riding, but I don't claim to be the most aggressive rider. I probably spend the most time riding at speeds of 55 to 65, and have yet to have the nanny kick in. I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and get a new rear tire put on since I am bringing it in for service anyway.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

My opinion(everyone has one) is wait until the rear is worn in the center and "needs" replacement, and install three NON Kenda tires. One does not have to look to far past all the weights required to balance a Kenda tire, to see they are not a very high quality product. My experience with Vredesteins and Federals, is you can run them without balancing, and they run smoothly.

I run Vredestein Quatrac 175/55R15s on my two RTs and one has a General Altimax rear, and next fall the second one will get a General or other car tire out back when it comes out of summer storage in Arizona.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Snoking gives good advice. Unless you have a tire giving you problems, let them run their course. The back tire is gone when the center is worn. You will still have plenty of tread on the edges, but you won't be able to access it when riding because the center section balloons out and that's what you end up riding on, hence the wear. Your tire is not over inflated, that is the wear characteristics of the Kenda on the Spyder. Like you, I don't ride very hard either, and my fronts lasted until 25,000 miles and still looked good, but by then they had aged out. I run Coopers on the front and a Pirelli that is no longer made on the rear.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-27-2024 at 06:59 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Just changed rear to General Altimax 45. Center of tire had wear bars showing. 5800 miles. Fronts will be good for a while yet.
    2021 RTL
    2021 RTL , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

2015 RT. My rear Kenda was gone at 6000 miles. I replaced all the tires at that point with auto tires. Tire life depends on more than just mileage so everyone's results may differ.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I just had mine swapped not that long ago. I made it to ~15K miles on my originals. The rear was starting to get slick center that is mentioned above in post #3. The fronts were worn, but not horrible. Decided to just swap them all within a couple of weeks of each other. I put the Ryken Raptor on the rear and have the Quatrac's up front.
    I've had the complete set up for a couple of weeks.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

At 12,000-ish miles on my '22 S2S, my rear tire was worn in the center. I put a General out back and went ahead and replaced the fronts with Vredsteins, even though they had decent tread depth left. I was anxious to see what all the talk was about. I'm glad I did and I'm looking forward to our trip in June more than ever.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

2000 miles, tired of shaking mirrors and bike not tracking straight... I put some Quatrac's on the front, all fixed now, quite a difference... The OEM tires really suck! A local shop did them for me, just got it serviced at 3000 miles last week. $454.00 for the service and inspection. I have a good dealer 20 minutes away.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-29-2024 at 04:43 PM.
    2020 F3 limited, liquid titanium
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    19 in freedom tinted windshield
    matte black daytona frunk wrap
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Spyder Garage

An answer from the "other side."

I used Kenda's on all but two tire changes. Both "other brands" never got tested out in full because I sold both machines before the tires wore out. I have bought tires for Seven Spyders and 200,000 assorted miles over the whole bunch.

That said...My experience on all other tire changes...fronts got close to 20K before needing to be changed out. Rears with the exception of one (the soft rubber 2014 version--8900 miles), most got 15K miles before wearing out. I always ran 26# in the rears. Two pounds less than recommended. This allowed the tire to balloon less. I would not change them if you do not have to.

The general consensus on the site is to dump OEM and go to "other" brands. The choices are many if you choose that route. I could never change our Spyder tires out by myself. The dealer I bought five from was a no non-BRP tire man...so I was stuck there. Moving down to AR, I got brave and replaced with other tires on two of my machines.

I also consider myself to be a non-agressive rider. No one will ever accuse me of burning up my tires.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    I've had my 2021 RT for almost 3 years, and I'm just short of 12,000 miles. I plan on getting an appointment for an oil change and service and wondered about tires. The two front ones look like they are still brand new. The rear tire looks a bit worn but still has what appears to be a lot of tread left. I don't baby the RT when I am riding, but I don't claim to be the most aggressive rider. I probably spend the most time riding at speeds of 55 to 65, and have yet to have the nanny kick in. I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and get a new rear tire put on since I am bringing it in for service anyway.

~~~7700 miles on my 2021 RTL (Love the sorta white w/black paint). Rear tire is OEM, looks like it hasn’t worn but, never got a baseline tread depth so I’m judging wear by eyesight. If I were you, keep the rear tire on there until it actually wears out, but that’s what I would do. It’s your money, if you want a new rear tire then by all means replace it if it makes you feel good knowing you’re good for another 12K smiles

I ended up replacing the OEM front tires not long ago strictly because I rode on the left front tire for 3 miles while it was totally flat and by doing that, after airing it up back home, it was no longer balanced so I made the decision to replace both fronts with Quatracs (Vredestein). I initially aired these two new front tires to 18 PSI each. My only complaint is, the ride isn’t as soft as it was using Kenda’s yet I’ve read here I might be able to get the soft ride qualities I’m lacking now by lowering the air pressure to 15 PSI in both front tires. Admittedly, I struggled with the decision whether to go with new OEM front tires or, go the route I did by installing dark side front tires. The local dealer offered free tire installation buying OEM tires but, they won’t install dark side tires on Spyder hence, I’d have to install the aftermarket tires myself or look for a shop to do the install for me. I did the R&R on my own using hand tools. Never again. Although a few here routinely replace their Spyder tires using hand tools, I found the experience cumbersome despite the fact I’ve been installing all the tires I’ve ever purchased for all of my motor bikes since 1974

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s ever too late to have a happy childhood
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

10K to 15K miles, is the general rule/life of the OEM Rear Tire. My rear tire was replaced around the 10K miles. The center was bald/slick.

Enjoy your Ryde Times. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Agree with all the above, your choice, if it ain't broke... I changed my OEM rear with just over 10k for the Vredestein, what a difference. The fronts are still good at just under 15k.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-30-2024 at 04:01 PM.
    Improvise, Adapt, Overcome, Semper Fi
    2020 RT
    Limited heated seats
    removable back rest & rack
    XK Glow light
    Paint with light painted panels
    (Gone but not forgotten ) 2009 RS SE5
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

18031 miles on the front
    8716 miles on the rear

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

2013 RTL with Factory Kenda at factory pressure, 10,856 miles, mostly two up, fronts last until 20,000 or so.
    2018 RTL with Factory Kenda at factory pressure, 8,150 miles, mostly two up, everything replaced with Vredestien's.
    2013 OEM Kenda at 4 years and 10k+ looked like this (replaced after hydroplaning incident).

Spyder Kenda Rear tire Apr '17 10,856 miles.jpg

2018 OEM Kenda at 5yrs (one year of me owning and riding), only 8,150 looked like this. Replaced before any hydroplaning incidents...

2018 RTL OEM Kenda Rear tire at 8,150 miles.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-30-2024 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Removed Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020