Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorwegianRT View Post
    Sorry for jumping in. My 998 use oil like this also, but I did at one point overfill with new oil.
    Manual states : DO NOT OVERFILL. What kind of damage can this cause ??
    The Spyder was ridden cpl of days with this level.
    Depends on now overfilled it was, how far it traveled, and how hard it was ridden. Overfilling starts with putting small amounts of oil into the airbox. Over time this leads to carbon buildup on the valves, top of the piston, and rings. If you really overfill. You can blow out seals and start leaking oil from various places in the engine. Usually the valve cover gaskets go first.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Depends on now overfilled it was, how far it traveled, and how hard it was ridden. Overfilling starts with putting small amounts of oil into the airbox. Over time this leads to carbon buildup on the valves, top of the piston, and rings. If you really overfill. You can blow out seals and start leaking oil from various places in the engine. Usually the valve cover gaskets go first.
    Thank you for info Ron !
    I was not that highly overfilled and I have not been riding hard either. It looks dry around the valve cover gasket also, so that is good. Going for a valve adjust next week at the dealer and the gaskets will be replaced with new ones also. I will tell the dealer about the over fill when I get there so he can check for damage.
    Last edited by NorwegianRT; 09-04-2023 at 07:09 AM. Reason: spelling
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.