Spyder Garage

Default How much room to tie down a Spyder in a 7' x 12' Enclosed Trailer?

I know this has been discussed before, but I need to know from people who have 7×12 enclosed trailers - How much room do you have to tie down your Spyder? The way I measured it, you only have 1 foot back and front to tie it down, and very little clearance on the front and back body panels. Also, if you had it to do over again, would you get a 7×14? I have done all the measuring of the Spyder and the trailers I've looked at, I just need someone who has actual experience with tie-ing down a Spyder in these. Thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-14-2024 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

I started with a 7x14 enclosed V-nosed trailer (with extra headroom, which provided for longer rear door ramp) for just that reason, mine had the front side door so I don't have to climb over the fenders, but can and regularly do that. Trailer came with built in frame mounted front and rear recessed tie down points. Works great!
    STwTrailer.jpg
    Last edited by DGoebel; 05-14-2024 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Moved photo under message.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
    I know this has been discussed before, but I need to know from people who have 7×12 enclosed trailers - How much room do you have to tie down your Spyder? The way I measured it, you only have 1 foot back and front to tie it down, and very little clearance on the front and back body panels. Also, if you had it to do over again, would you get a 7×14? I have done all the measuring of the Spyder and the trailers I've looked at, I just need someone who has actual experience with tie-ing down a Spyder in these. Thanks
    I have a 7’x12’ V-nose and use E-Track with ratchet straps over the wheels. Easy to secure and has worked great.

2019 RTL
    2019 RTL , Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jchadwi View Post
    I have a 7’x12’ V-nose and use E-Track with ratchet straps over the wheels. Easy to secure and has worked great.
    .... I started ( this method ) using rachet straps over the wheels / tires about a decade ago. There is no better way of preventing your Spyder from moving - PERIOD..... It's simple, in-expensive, and just plain works ..... there are many pics and vids from members here .....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Super Chocks were the best I'd ever seen but they are no longer manufactured or sold. So BK911's suggestion appears to currently be the best and safest way to go. However, 7'x12' enclosed seems to be a bit tight particularly if you're slightly overbuilt, to put it kindly. LOL

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Super Chocks were the best I'd ever seen but they are no longer manufactured or sold. So BK911's suggestion appears to currently be the best and safest way to go. However, 7'x12' enclosed seems to be a bit tight particularly if you're slightly overbuilt, to put it kindly. LOL
    I know many folks here were/are using straps over 2 or 3 tires .... I only ever used one over the rear tire and never had an issue .... My front tires had blocks on the outside of the front tires ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-16-2024 at 11:34 PM.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I was on the fence about 7'×12' or the 7'×14' trailer. I went with the 7'×14' and the V-nose. I also have a spare tire in my V-Nose space.
    I installed E-Track for the front wheels and use straps over the tires. At the rear tire I have two tie downs. Quick and easy for me.
    Oh, yes I have room to get around.
    I also use the trailer as my portable shop and garage. Keeps me more organized.

What ever you do, do your homework.
    Have a good day. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue