View Poll Results: How's your DPS treating you?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • My 2008 Spyder has NOT had DPS problems.

97 36.19%
  • My 2009 Spyder has NOT had DPS problems.

61 22.76%
  • My 2010 Spyder has NOT had DPS problems.

18 6.72%
  • My 2008 Spyder HAD DPS problems and they ARE fixed.

51 19.03%
  • My 2009 Spyder HAD DPS problems and they ARE fixed.

7 2.61%
  • My 2010 Spyder HAD DPS problems and they ARE fixed.

2 0.75%
  • My 2008 Spyder HAS DPS problems and they are NOT fixed.

25 9.33%
  • My 2009 Spyder HAS DPS problems and they are NOT fixed.

5 1.87%
  • My 2010 Spyder HAS DPS problems and they are NOT fixed.

2 0.75%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Spyder DPS Poll

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    If you have a serious malfunction, you will know it. Most have characterized it as a drifting to one side, locking in that direction - requiring extra force to turn back the other way, followed by sudden loss of the resistance, sometimes resulting in overcorrection. Basically the same problems described by the initial recall. Mine were like that. There have also been cases of power steering going in and out. If that happens, it will be obvious...and unsettling! There are also cases where an owner never had power steering at all, and that one is hard to notice if you have nothing to compare to. If you are concerned about it, drop by your dealer and ask to take a ride on their demo.
    Hey! I resemble that remark!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Replacement for rear tire

I been reading all post, but not sure which tire to buy? Or motorcycle/car tire need to get more miles. Have 15,000 on the rear now. Should I use air or nitrogen?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well... I have a 2008 Spyder.. yesterday I rode for 250 miles and experienced this issue 3x with the steering locking up and then the bike steering pushing hard in the opposite direction ( i have not experienced any issue at all before this )... before I tell my story here are some quick facts:

My bike has 2931 miles on it as of the end of yesterday...
    I have not had any updates done and in fact I went by the SeaDoo/Yamaha/BRP shop yesterday and found the service manager to be very well informed about recalls and the DPS issues.. my bike currently does not have power steering working properly after driving a demo they had.. I plan on putting the bike in the shop this week for all the updates.. ( I guess it's kizmet that about 2 hours after stopping by the dealer my Spyder shows an issue )

Ok, here was yesterday's scenario..

All 3X this occurred there was a significant cross wind, I'm going between 44 mph and 54mph according to the bike, and was in a very gradual 1/4 circle kind of turn you see on a highway that occurs over a distance like a mile or so... it was at the end of these that steering appeared to lock and then the steering quickly pushed in the opposite direction without input from me.. all 3X I gained almost instant recontrol of the steering by wiggling the handlebars slightly back and forth..

The first time it occured it was a bit unsettling, but from reading this board I almost instantly recognized it was for what it is. I also thought about how I regained control and decided to see if I could get the bike to behave the same way again. I could and it did both attempts afterwards in similar type conditions as described above.. Also my experience might have been minor as compared to others as one.. I'm 275lbs and quite strong, secondarily my power steering is not working normally ( if power steering was working and the bike pushed it's steering against you hard it might have been quite a bit tougher to regain control )..

I had very reticent to take my bike in for any updates until it was crystal clear that the 2008 DPS / Steering Issue was completely resolved for fear of the updates causing a problem... now it's going this week.

I love my Spyder

Mac

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MacDad View Post
    I had very reticent to take my bike in for any updates until it was crystal clear that the 2008 DPS / Steering Issue was completely resolved for fear of the updates causing a problem... now it's going this week.I love my Spyder Mac
    Interesting point of view between DPS failure and Updates.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MacDad View Post
    Well... I have a 2008 Spyder.. yesterday I rode for 250 miles and experienced this issue 3x with the steering locking up and then the bike steering pushing hard in the opposite direction ( i have not experienced any issue at all before this )... before I tell my story here are some quick facts:

My bike has 2931 miles on it as of the end of yesterday...
    I have not had any updates done and in fact I went by the SeaDoo/Yamaha/BRP shop yesterday and found the service manager to be very well informed about recalls and the DPS issues.. my bike currently does not have power steering working properly after driving a demo they had.. I plan on putting the bike in the shop this week for all the updates.. ( I guess it's kizmet that about 2 hours after stopping by the dealer my Spyder shows an issue )

Ok, here was yesterday's scenario..

All 3X this occurred there was a significant cross wind, I'm going between 44 mph and 54mph according to the bike, and was in a very gradual 1/4 circle kind of turn you see on a highway that occurs over a distance like a mile or so... it was at the end of these that steering appeared to lock and then the steering quickly pushed in the opposite direction without input from me.. all 3X I gained almost instant recontrol of the steering by wiggling the handlebars slightly back and forth..

The first time it occured it was a bit unsettling, but from reading this board I almost instantly recognized it was for what it is. I also thought about how I regained control and decided to see if I could get the bike to behave the same way again. I could and it did both attempts afterwards in similar type conditions as described above.. Also my experience might have been minor as compared to others as one.. I'm 275lbs and quite strong, secondarily my power steering is not working normally ( if power steering was working and the bike pushed it's steering against you hard it might have been quite a bit tougher to regain control )..

I had very reticent to take my bike in for any updates until it was crystal clear that the 2008 DPS / Steering Issue was completely resolved for fear of the updates causing a problem... now it's going this week.

I love my Spyder

Mac
    Sounds like you certainly have one of the steering problems. Could be GPS unit, DPS, sensor, etc. Good thing to get into the dealer. Sounds like you're dealer is on top of things... keep us posted on your results.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

im changing my vote to 2009 and now I consider it to be fixed. But on the other side of the coin if it happens again I guess it's not fixed... right ?
    Last edited by RoadHammer; 04-04-2010 at 06:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RoadHammer View Post
    im changing my vote to 2009 and now I consider it to be fixed. But on the other side of the coin if it happens again I guess it's not fixed... right ?
    Poll featuer doesn't allow for vote changes. Eventually I would think (certainly HOPE) that everyone with continuing problems will feel like you do (unit is fixed).

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RoadHammer View Post
    That makes perfect sense to me, and is the same way I would think about it if I was in your shoes.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Why so few votes...

With over 10,000 Spyders sold why have there only been 250 votes
    Not much of a Poll with such a small section of voters

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gazey View Post

There may have been that many sold, but there are less than 4,000 SpyderLovers, and many may not even own Spyders. If you look at the statistics, the most members that ever visited in one day was 424. My guess is that we only have about 500 regulars here. That means half have responded. Others of us have stated our reasons for not voting as yet. I don't think the numbers are that out of line, considering these things.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gazey View Post

There are about 38 hundred members in this Forum, Not all own Spyders. Many have zero posts, A lot have less than ten. Not every member is that interested in the every day goings on here. That's life nothing we can do about that sorry to say.

Spyder Garage

At the time of the recall there were around 9,500 spyders in North America. That was a year ago. I think you could safely say there were a few thousand more around the globe, and a few thousand more sold since then.... so there *could* easily be 15,000+ Spyders in the world.

The purpose of the poll wasn't just about who 'has' vs. who 'hasn't' had problems.... I think the most important thing we've learned from the poll is that this was MUCH more prevalent in 2008 models, a few early 2009, and basically no 2010 models.

Something changed. Software, Hardware, etc.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It has definitely been an interesting experiment.