Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Help appreciated

Hi ALl
    I would appreciate an opinion from some "wiser" heads than mine.
    2008 GS with 12,000 km on the clock.

Problem 1 - stopped for lunch. Started the bike and prepared to ride away - oil light comes on (serviced 2,000 km ago)- turned bike off, checked oil level - all seems OK.
    Start bike again, oil light comes on with engine light- text reads "check engine".
    Turn off and start again - park brake warning light works but no other lights (oil or engine etc) come on. Speedo etc all works fine.
    Rode home 150km all Ok. Stopped bike - start again - no indicator lights , engine , oil etc work - just the park brake warning light.
    Checked fault code is PO 520- "engine oil pressure sensor malfunction".

Problem 2 - I will swear that over the last 200km or so the steering has developed an amount of free play. You can move the bars from side to side loosely a few degrees before you feel any pressure and the wheels turn. It seems to be getting worse - I thought it was my imagination but my wife as pillion noticed it (she says). The DPS was changed about 1000km ago by the dealer - who is about an hour away.
    Any ideas what this is and could it get worse as I try to ride to the dealer?

Would appreciate any comments.
    Last edited by mrb; 04-24-2011 at 12:34 AM.

Spyder Garage

Hi Martin. Problem 1 sounds like it could be a faulty oil pressure switch - there have been several reports of similar symptoms. Spyder has a 'rare' one with 10mm thread, not tapered pipe thread like common ones. I carry a spare OP switch just for such a situation.

Problem 2 - check all steering and suspension balljoints/linkages for looseness while it is stationary with ya wife moving bars side-to-side while you inspect ALL components b4 you ride any further - there should be none. If all is ok, the excessive movement must be in the steering box, which would also be a worry. Ring to dealer on Wed and tell him what you have found (and tell us too). This sounds like a significant safety issue from what you have detailed.

Regards.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Default help appreciated

Hi Martin,
    check the connection of the steering colum in to the steeringbox myne was loose after the power steering replacement.
    greetings Henk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Hi Martin. Problem 1 sounds like it could be a faulty oil pressure switch - there have been several reports of similar symptoms. Spyder has a 'rare' one with 10mm thread, not tapered pipe thread like common ones. I carry a spare OP switch just for such a situation.

Problem 2 - check all steering and suspension balljoints/linkages for looseness while it is stationary with ya wife moving bars side-to-side while you inspect ALL components b4 you ride any further - there should be none. If all is ok, the excessive movement must be in the steering box, which would also be a worry. Ring to dealer on Wed and tell him what you have found (and tell us too). This sounds like a significant safety issue from what you have detailed.

Regards.
    100%
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Question for others - wouldn't removing the wire from the switch (located under the engine just right of centre) temporarily solve problem 1?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Question for others - wouldn't removing the wire from the switch (located under the engine just right of centre) temporarily solve problem 1?
    Don't believe so. The system looks for a set resistance in the circuit - 2 ohms. Its throwing a fault code to say its not there. As opposed to saying that oil pressure is missing.
    This is likely a bad sensor but a wire broken (or removed) would , I think, get the same fault code.

UPDATE *just checked the handlebar freeplay. Its hard to be sure but holding the shaft where it goes into the DPS unit it feels like the freeplay is in the top near the handlebars - if I had to guess it feels its where the splined unit holding the bars attaches to the shaft. It feels loose. There is no freeplay in ball joints and linkages- its all in that shaft area either up at the bars or where it enters the DPS. Will ring the dealer when they open Wednesday.
    Must admit I was a little concerned after they fitted the DPS as all the plastic panel screws had been done up incredibly tight deforming the panels around them. I thought this was tighter than they should be and expected that the person that worked on it should have known that?
    Last edited by mrb; 04-24-2011 at 05:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

You're probably right about the OP switch Martin. I haven't needed to check into them - yet.

Your steering issue is 'interesting.'

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie spyder View Post
    Hi Martin,
    check the connection of the steering colum in to the steeringbox myne was loose after the power steering replacement.
    greetings Henk
    During my DPS replacement,my dealer also found a loose connection in the steering colum. Said they tightened a bolt and now there is no play at all.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hi All -FYI

The oil pressure switch was faulty as expected - easy fixed - total charge $94 AUD.

The play in the steering was apparently a "loose clamp" which "goes around a spline" on the steering shaft. Not real sure where that was but apparently its fixed now.
    Perhaps it was as in the image below?

With the play in the steering it was a very uncomfortable one hour ride to the dealer. Will collect it tomorrow. .
    Last edited by mrb; 05-06-2011 at 02:01 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad to hear that you can now see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Here's to nothing but miles and smiles from now on!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black