Spyder Garage

Default Who went from RS to ST?

Hello all!

Been awhile since ive posted anything moved from florida to the NC mountains a few months ago and while I already put 10k plus on my rs im racking up more so to my question!!

I test rode and ST-S before I moved that was in 2013 and was impressed but then life flipped and I had a move and haven't been looking at anything riding wise but the ST does seem to call out to me...

Do any of you that made the switch regret it??
    Can you still be fairly aggressive on the ST??
    Any noticeable performance differences ?? (I understand same engine not sure on weight difference)
    Is it better with a passenger then the RS?

I appreciate any input as its been so long since I rode the ST I have really forgotten how it felt but I do remember the slightly relaxed position was much more comfortable...

Thanks in advanced

Spyder Garage

What's your time frame? I don't think I'd do anything until the 2015 model info is out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderraven View Post
    Hello all!

Been awhile since ive posted anything moved from florida to the NC mountains a few months ago and while I already put 10k plus on my rs im racking up more so to my question!!

I test rode and ST-S before I moved that was in 2013 and was impressed but then life flipped and I had a move and haven't been looking at anything riding wise but the ST does seem to call out to me...

Do any of you that made the switch regret it??
    Can you still be fairly aggressive on the ST??
    Any noticeable performance differences ?? (I understand same engine not sure on weight difference)
    Is it better with a passenger then the RS?

I appreciate any input as its been so long since I rode the ST I have really forgotten how it felt but I do remember the slightly relaxed position was much more comfortable...

Thanks in advanced
    I went from RSS to ST SM5 and I have no regrets at all, I love the riding position. I ride with a group of mainly RS/RSS riders and I have no problem being aggressive with it, no real major difference than an RS when it comes to handling, but the fly by wire throttle is a little different. It is slightly down on HP compared to pre 2013, about 6hp less I think. Much the same as an RS with the passenger, a bit cosier, as the rider is sitting more upright, but the passenger floorboards are in a much better position than the RS.
    I still ride my partners 2011 RSS sometimes, I enjoy it for a change, but prefer my ST
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NetJunkie View Post
    What's your time frame? I don't think I'd do anything until the 2015 model info is out.
    Is something new coming out 2015?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Ooops!!

still on the RS and loving it. But if brp makes a change it may well be putting the 1330 ACE engine in the ST..can't help but feel the ST is that close to the RS/RSS with the changes made. That engine may bring it closer. Jmo
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've essentially built my RS into and ST: Givi top and side bags, comfort seat, heli-bar risers, touring screen. I sat on an ST in Rapid City and the only bonus it had were floorboards. So until BRP stuffs a faster motor (hint.. the 1300) into the ST, I'll wait.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

My wife is considering the move as well. The dealer near us is offering over $7000 off the msrp for a 2013 STS over a 2014 STS. Even if we have to change to the 2014 panels it is still a smoking deal.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderraven View Post
    Is something new coming out 2015?
    Lots of rumors around the RS/RS-S being bumped for 2015. If they do anything to the engine I can't imagine they'd leave the ST as-is. Either they'll move it to the 1330 or give it the bumps that the RS-S gets. That's my thought anyway. I just can't imagine they'd sell the ST with lesser power/performance than the RS-S or the RT. So if performance is a big consideration to you I'd consider holding off.

But. If you're plenty happy with your current RS and are considering a current ST I'd think you'd like it just fine. And as someone just said, might find a great deal on a 2013 ST.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I thought about going to an ST from RS but although I loved some of the features and did not like the way it handled. My friend purchased a ST and so I had free access to drive it. Does not handle very well in the corners, very spooky really. Tends to wonder. My friend actually would not ride it until after he install the swaybar and Elka's. He still says that he is not happy. He is going to do the laser alignment and if that doesn’t do the trick, he is thinking about selling it already. I really feel a little responsible for all this because I pushed him into buying it, because for me on my RS, its just the most fun ever.

Spyder Garage

Default My thoughts

The ST has only been around a couple of years, so I cant see them changing it too much, my opinion anyway. And the RT has just had a facelift, so really leaves the RS/RSS to get a facelift. I cant see it getting the 3cyl engine, so probably a bit of cosmetic and maybe handling.
    And thinking outside the box, maybe one with a smaller (yes smaller) engine to try and capture a bit of the commuter market,
    maybe the 500 or 650cc motor out of the Canam Quad Bike. This would also fall into the price range for a lot more people, especially those not having a twitchy right wrist like some of us lolol
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Spyder Garage

The ST hasn't been around long but I can't see them offering 3 different engine packages assuming the RS-S gets a bump...and some people have gotten a bit of "nudge, nudge" from BRP reps when the 2015 RS-S was discussed. The ST frame was changed to hold the 1330. It wouldn't surprise me one single bit to see that engine in the ST for 2015. I'd put money on the ST changing if the RS-S is changed. I have enough faith in the fact that the RS-S is getting bumped that my 2013 RS-S is still bone stock. I can't see putting money in it when I'll buy the first revised 2015 a local dealer gets.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    I've essentially built my RS into and ST: Givi top and side bags, comfort seat, heli-bar risers, touring screen. I sat on an ST in Rapid City and the only bonus it had were floorboards. So until BRP stuffs a faster motor (hint.. the 1300) into the ST, I'll wait.

I agree

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default There you go...!!

good plan. You have what sounds like what you want now so hang in there lets see what they are going to do. I don't think they will do it in 2015 but will do it. I will ryde our RS till one of us can go no longer...maybe a bigger V twin...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 ST-L

Get the dealer to fit the 2014 panels to a 2013 at cost or better still f.o.c and you'll have a cracking spyder and saved heaps of money.
    That's the way I would go if I was buying now.