CrazyCooter
Active member
Last trip my wife complained about a squeaking noise while on the throttle. My thought was possible alternator shaft......but RPM, powersteering use, and Aux lights on/off made no difference in the noise. It also doesn't make the chirp at idle after starting that the RT did after the LiFEpo4 battery swap.
I did a quick roadtest with a half helmet and I "think" it's coming from the front pulley/belt. I quickly noted the belt is riding on the outside flange of the front pulley, BUT the rear is riding right on the inside flange!!?? The manual states that the gap measurement from the inside flange rear pulley combined with the gap measurement of the front pulley should equal 1/8" + or - 7/64".
The belt was a little on the loose side, so I attempted to see IF I could get things into alignment/tension at all, but obtaining the required tolerance is not possible. When rolling forward, the belt rides outside front and inside rear. When reversing it gets MUCH worse as you can hear the belt actually rubbing on the rear pulley flange.
Just for giggles, I adjusted wheel so the belt was riding toward the outside of center rear pulley just to see IF the front would change at all.......NOPE! In reverse the belt immediately migrates to the inside of the rear pulley making rubbing noises and creating friction.
No matter what I tried, the belt always rides to the outside of the front pulley when rotating forward! I suspect either the engine, swing arm, and/or wheel are not parallel with each other. I have a difficult time with thinking the swing arm or wheel bearings could already be worn out? The only other factor that I could look into is that I have installed the Lamsonster tensioner.......I suppose IF it was far enough out of alignment, it "Could" be guiding the belt over to the outside?
For now I set it to have the slightest gap on the rear pulley to minimize the wear until we can get this sorted.
Unless I'm missing something, this is looking like a trip to the dealer and I can only imagine the drawn out process of actually finding the culprit with a hardly functioning service dept.......
I did a quick roadtest with a half helmet and I "think" it's coming from the front pulley/belt. I quickly noted the belt is riding on the outside flange of the front pulley, BUT the rear is riding right on the inside flange!!?? The manual states that the gap measurement from the inside flange rear pulley combined with the gap measurement of the front pulley should equal 1/8" + or - 7/64".
The belt was a little on the loose side, so I attempted to see IF I could get things into alignment/tension at all, but obtaining the required tolerance is not possible. When rolling forward, the belt rides outside front and inside rear. When reversing it gets MUCH worse as you can hear the belt actually rubbing on the rear pulley flange.
Just for giggles, I adjusted wheel so the belt was riding toward the outside of center rear pulley just to see IF the front would change at all.......NOPE! In reverse the belt immediately migrates to the inside of the rear pulley making rubbing noises and creating friction.
No matter what I tried, the belt always rides to the outside of the front pulley when rotating forward! I suspect either the engine, swing arm, and/or wheel are not parallel with each other. I have a difficult time with thinking the swing arm or wheel bearings could already be worn out? The only other factor that I could look into is that I have installed the Lamsonster tensioner.......I suppose IF it was far enough out of alignment, it "Could" be guiding the belt over to the outside?
For now I set it to have the slightest gap on the rear pulley to minimize the wear until we can get this sorted.
Unless I'm missing something, this is looking like a trip to the dealer and I can only imagine the drawn out process of actually finding the culprit with a hardly functioning service dept.......
Last edited: