• There were many reasons for the change of the site software, the biggest was security. The age of the old software also meant no server updates for certain programs. There are many benefits to the new software, one of the biggest is the mobile functionality. Ill fix up some stuff in the coming days, we'll also try to get some of the old addons back or the data imported back into the site like the garage. To create a thread or to reply with a post is basically the same as it was in the prior software. The default style of the site is light colored, but i temporarily added a darker colored style, to change you can find a link at the bottom of the site.

New Member Intro & Questions re Upcoming Purchase Decision

WoodmanTX

New member
Hi! New member here seeking advice.

Background: Long-time Goldwing rider. 66yo. Retired. 140k on my 2018 Wing with 9 IBA’s and been to all continental States except NE. I love riding and exploring new places. I crashed on some debris last October. Bike totalled. I am OK but got really lucky. Shook me up mentally, thus been thinking about what is next. 3 wheels appears to be in my future. Trikes don’t appeal to me, leading me to research on the Spyder. Long time GW Forum member, so I know the drill. I have done a lot of reading here and educated myself and waited to post until I was able to secure a test ride so that my questions would be relevant. I also know that most posts on forums are problem related, thus exaggerating some issues. I value the experience and advice of forum members also. Seeking wisdom and info in my upcoming decision to purchase a 2026 RT S2S.

In no particular order or priority, I seek feedback on:
  • Why did you switch to a Spyder and would you do it again?
  • Other than TPMS (coming in 2027), semi-auto tranny (just why not go full auto?) and lack of ‘Sport’ mode, the S2S appears to be fully loaded. Are there any rumors to a significant model change upcoming that I should wait for? What are other things you wish were on the bike?
  • There are very few test rides available in DFW area and no S2S that I can go look at. I found and rode a 2018 RT Limited at my local Honda dealer. Very smooth and quiet. I did not experience the handling transition problems that are mentioned online as I ride a lot of ATV’s, but did note the power steering sensitivity at speed. Engine is not as peppy as the Wing, but I knew that going in. Downshifting provides plenty of power when needed. Main question - I am 6’3” and the cockpit felt cramped. I could not stretch out my feet and the brake pedal positioning felt inconvenient.
    • 1) Has there been a redesign since 2018 improving the room in the cockpit? And
    • 2) are there seat options to move the seating position back some? I did note online that there are highway peg aftermarket options.
  • I noted that when accelerating from a dead stop, there was a brief momentary pause (say 1/2 to full second) prior to the tranny engaging and beginning to pull away. Is this normal or maybe just on the bike I rode?
  • A lot of scary posts online and this forum regarding technology glitches, primarily CarPlay and Limp Mode. I see a recent software patch, it's probably too soon to know if it is working, but it seems to be a very slow response from BRP. Question: Is this a widespread issue or just a few limited occurrences? FYI, if I pay $30k+ and am 2,000 miles from home, I certainly don’t want to deal with issues like this. Reliability is really important to me. Should I be concerned?
  • Concerns about the Dealer Network and quality/timely service - what are your experiences? I am used to knowing my techs by name and having them in my phone via a long relationship with a Honda Powerhouse Dealer here in DFW. I haven’t worried about parts/scheduling/quality service in a long time. I realize I will be stepping down from a high standard set at Honda, but how bad is it? How did you go about finding and building a relationship with a certified dealer to service your machine. Does it matter if you bought it there or not?
Again, thank you for your time. I decided to put a lot into 1 post rather than bother everybody with a series of posts. I hope my strategy is ok. Probably looking to make a decision in the next month or two.

Woody
 
Regarding the legroom; there are aftermarket options that provide more room for the driver at the expense of passenger comfort, which isn't an issue unless you need to provide for a less than tiny passenger.

Regarding reliability; there are some model years that are exceptionally well dialed in and trouble free, such as the 2014 RTL I've had since new. The DESS failure issue is weird because some bikes within a model year have it and others don't. Same with the main drive gear spline issue. My observation in being a member of this forum for over 10 years is that
1) most known failure issues aren't catastrophic enough to leave you stranded mid-ride, particularly if you have the ability and tools to do basic electrical/mechanical repairs or workarounds in those rare instances you do experience a breakdown and​
2) truly catastrophic failures are extremely rare and usually caught shortly after release of the new model.​
​
In short, I think the Spyder is very dependable, but not to the level of legendary bikes like the Goldwing.

Dealer support is spotty, in that there seems to be no factory level service standards that demand excellence of the dealers, so quality varies widely between dealers and year to year within a given dealership. It's also spotty in that some areas of the country have lots of dealers and others do not.

Bottom line, for me anyway, is that the Spyder is an extremely capable, reliable, safe machine with some quirks and spotty dealer support, things that are irritating but not deal killers. I wouldn't have anything else, given what the market currently has available in 3-wheeled motorcycles.

I chose the Spyder because of its unparalleled safety features, it's comfort and it's long-legged touring capability. But, mostly its impressive stability and strong, safe braking.
 
Last edited:
Good luck in your decision-making process @WoodmanTX!
I'm in the process of fully converting to my 2023 S2S, but I still have my BMW.
You will find that riding a 3-wheeled vehicle can be liberating, as you no longer have to support the weight of a large motorcycle. However, it is a different skill set to learn to ride it.

As far as the technical aspects of the bike and the dealer network, those are good questions. Look for the Spyder Riders group on Facebook in DFW and the surrounding area to get feedback on the local dealer network. In terms of Limp Mode, honestly, in my experience, I've had several VSS faults, of which only 1 led to Limp Mode; most were due to the battery and inadequate charging from the alternator.

The implementation of CarPlay is a constant work in progress, and IMHO BRP is fighting a losing battle. They are behind in features, and what they do have doesn't always work. I still use a Carpuride device and a GPS for navigation. My bike is the Starship Enterprise, but it mirrors my BMW.

I attended Club BRP a few months ago (their dealer-only event), and I don't think they'll make any significant changes to the bike. The US market will also be significantly impacted by the latest restrictions on BRP imports. So it is hard to really say what the future of OnRoad products will be in the US.

If you want a sportier ride, try the Canyon. It rocks! But it won't have TPMS if that is important to you (you can add aftermarket sensors to your tires). If the Canyon isn't your thing, look at the F3. But don't expect the ride experience on a 2018 to be anything like that of the current models.

Hope this helps a little!
 
I switched to a Spyder from a ST1300 Honda. I used to put on a lot of miles on any bike I have. Went to an RSS and after a little getting used to it, I loved the Spyder. My knees were getting bad and it was harder to stay upright when stopped. I put over 245,000 miles on the RSS and had no major issues other than normal maintenance, I also have a good dealer in the area. Then I got Sepsis, which basically destroyed my body, it took me two years to even use a walker. Purchased an RT Ltd and strapped a folding walker on the back of the Spyder and continued to drive. Now, after another two years, I don't need a walker and I love the ride the RT Ltd gives me.

The Spyder gives me the freedom to continue to ride in comfort. I would definitely stay with automatic, sit on as many models you can, and check out the extras that can make your riding more comfortable for you.

They are dependable bikes as long as you do the maintenance on them. Also, a good mechanic is helpful as well.

Just pick the model that you like and enjoy the ride.
 
Back
Top