UtahPete
Well-known member
Before I get started, let me make clear a couple of points; a) I am new to this new website, having been away from SpyderLovers for almost 3 years, during which time the feature-rich old website that I had learned to use was replaced by this one, which I don't know how to use, b) I'm not criticizing the new website AT ALL when I make observations from a user point of view, c) any suggestions I make are intended to build on the present platform to hopefully create a better user experience, not complain about it, d) I am not presenting my thoughts as the best or only way to do anything, but rather to hopefully stimulate a constructive discussion, e) if what I'm suggesting is already happening elsewhere on the website, please point that out; I'm only making this suggestion because being new to the website I haven't found it.
Okay, on to the topic at hand. One of the things I found extremely useful and interesting on the old website was the vendor section. I understand those vendors paid for the privilege of advertising their wares or services and vendors came and went depending on whether they could justify the expense. But, those who did advertise in that way provided, I think, a valuable service to the Spyder community. Whenever I needed a part or farkle or service, I would go first to those vendors and usually didn't need to search further field.
One of the drawbacks to that system is that small vendors and entrepreneurs weren't readily visible. After being actively engaged on SL for awhile, I would come across threads where other members suggested a certain company or person was providing a solution to a problem, and that's how I discovered someone providing better side cover brackets, solid billet windshield arms that didn't break, belt tensioners, floorboards, replacement windshields, etc. BlueKnight used to make and sell unique, inexpensive products and I know there were others.
I noticed on the current website platform is a tab called "Resources", which is not being used. Maybe this is where vendors can and should strut their stuff? I posted a trial listing for Lamonster Garage just to see how it worked (and it's still there so I'm guessing I didn't break any rules by doing so), so members could list companies that wouldn't normally be vendors on the website, but who provide products or services members would find helpful, like an independent repair shop, or even a dealer they recommend highly.
Thoughts on this?
Okay, on to the topic at hand. One of the things I found extremely useful and interesting on the old website was the vendor section. I understand those vendors paid for the privilege of advertising their wares or services and vendors came and went depending on whether they could justify the expense. But, those who did advertise in that way provided, I think, a valuable service to the Spyder community. Whenever I needed a part or farkle or service, I would go first to those vendors and usually didn't need to search further field.
One of the drawbacks to that system is that small vendors and entrepreneurs weren't readily visible. After being actively engaged on SL for awhile, I would come across threads where other members suggested a certain company or person was providing a solution to a problem, and that's how I discovered someone providing better side cover brackets, solid billet windshield arms that didn't break, belt tensioners, floorboards, replacement windshields, etc. BlueKnight used to make and sell unique, inexpensive products and I know there were others.
I noticed on the current website platform is a tab called "Resources", which is not being used. Maybe this is where vendors can and should strut their stuff? I posted a trial listing for Lamonster Garage just to see how it worked (and it's still there so I'm guessing I didn't break any rules by doing so), so members could list companies that wouldn't normally be vendors on the website, but who provide products or services members would find helpful, like an independent repair shop, or even a dealer they recommend highly.
Thoughts on this?