• There were many reasons for the change of the site software, the biggest was security. The age of the old software also meant no server updates for certain programs. There are many benefits to the new software, one of the biggest is the mobile functionality. Ill fix up some stuff in the coming days, we'll also try to get some of the old addons back or the data imported back into the site like the garage. To create a thread or to reply with a post is basically the same as it was in the prior software. The default style of the site is light colored, but i temporarily added a darker colored style, to change you can find a link at the bottom of the site.

Getting Your Money's Worth from a Tire!

You may be surprised to know that 68 percent of tire carcasses on the road are from new tires, not recaps!
The trucking company I worked for over 40 years ago did tire testing for Goodyear and Bridgestone. The engineers were cool to be around.
I told one once that I had purchased a set of tires for my car that were supposed to get 80,000 miles.
He looked at me and said, "Well, if it's supposed to get that kind of mileage, how do you think stopping is going to work out!" Good point!
 
A retreads life expectancy can be based on the original carcus used and the care in grinding and prep that goes into it before it goes into the chamber. It's about a 50 /50 mix of new and retread alligators you see on the road, or hopefully on the side.
According to Google, 44% of all commercial truck tires in service are retreads.
 
I think it is a federal law that a tractor trailer rig cannot have retreads on the front tires. Only on the rears.
That was true when I drove a gas tank in 1976-79. We ran Bandag recaps on the drivers and trailer. As I recall, I put 200 k miles on in the three years, all on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state.
Titan209020Chevy_zpsyqsvbtbw-1 (1).jpg
 
Big rigs still use retreads
Some do, but when I worked in Nuclear power, we wouldn't even load a trailer if the rig had a retread, or an old or worn tire, or anything else that didn't pass an inspection.
We wouldn't risk our inspection equipment, or the chance of a radioactive shipment having an accident.

Yes, they do. And if you meet up with one on 2-Wheels, it might change your outlook on life... No fun on 3-Wheels, but more fun than on 2!

View attachment 257219
I've had two instances where a car ahead of me ran over a road gator and threw it up into my car.
Both caused pretty significant damage, with one being several thousand dollars. 🤬
 
Maybe I should look into having this customer's tire retreaded! ;)

I wonder if anyone has seen anything worse on a Spyder.
 
That was true when I drove a gas tank in 1976-79. We ran Bandag recaps on the drivers and trailer. As I recall, I put 200 k miles on in the three years, all on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state.
View attachment 257220
Funny you should mention Bandag. My nephew worked for them a few years doing recaps. He left there and got into truck driving and is now an owner operator.
 
Back
Top