• There were many reasons for the change of the site software, the biggest was security. The age of the old software also meant no server updates for certain programs. There are many benefits to the new software, one of the biggest is the mobile functionality. Ill fix up some stuff in the coming days, we'll also try to get some of the old addons back or the data imported back into the site like the garage. To create a thread or to reply with a post is basically the same as it was in the prior software. The default style of the site is light colored, but i temporarily added a darker colored style, to change you can find a link at the bottom of the site.

Getting Your Money's Worth from a Tire!

I'm sure that even a quality tire could have an incident like that if the owner wore it real thin and hit a sharp object. Looks like a one or 2 ply carcass.
 
Remember them?! I still have nightmares about them, and they still figure fairly heavily in my therapy sessions! :eek:
And cross ply/bias ply tires. And that's not even retreaded cross ply items.

Growing up in England, lots of people used retreads on their cars as tires were expensive in the UK back then. It was good that most people who used them put them on cars that were really slow.

Some people used to re-groove their tires to try to pass MOT inspections.

Ah, post war Britain.
 
Who else remembers “retreads”?
I was a rural mail carrier from 1992-1994. Retreads were my friend on my 1982 ford fairmont. The tread was harder and would wear out slower. The tread pattern was also more agressive which helped with starting and stopping on gravel and dirt roads. In fact, when I could find them, I put mud grips front and rear. When people would ask "why mud grips on the front of a 2 wd car?" I would remind them that tires need grip to stop as well as go. If you don't have traction on the front tires, you might just slide right by the mail box.
 
I was a rural mail carrier from 1992-1994. Retreads were my friend on my 1982 ford fairmont. The tread was harder and would wear out slower. The tread pattern was also more agressive which helped with starting and stopping on gravel and dirt roads. In fact, when I could find them, I put mud grips front and rear. When people would ask "why mud grips on the front of a 2 wd car?" I would remind them that tires need grip to stop as well as go. If you don't have traction on the front tires, you might just slide right by the mail box.
Interesting. I know it's way off subject, but here is how I found my USPS delivered parcel one snowy winter day just before Christmas. And I live on a fairly busy road.

20260203_174615.jpg
 
Last edited:
A retreads life expectancy can be based on the original carcus used and the care in grinding and prep that goes into it before it goes into the chamber. It's about a 50 /50 mix of new and retread alligators you see on the road, or hopefully on the side.
 
Back
Top