• There were many reasons for the change of the site software, the biggest was security. The age of the old software also meant no server updates for certain programs. There are many benefits to the new software, one of the biggest is the mobile functionality. Ill fix up some stuff in the coming days, we'll also try to get some of the old addons back or the data imported back into the site like the garage. To create a thread or to reply with a post is basically the same as it was in the prior software. The default style of the site is light colored, but i temporarily added a darker colored style, to change you can find a link at the bottom of the site.

Intermittent raw gas smell at start-up and goes away after a few minutes - Any thoughts on what to check next?

Once again removed the TW and removed more this time to check the hoses to and from the Cannister. All hoses were in good condition. I started the bike and checked the fuel delivery hoses and all stayed bone dry all the way even the fuel rail and injectors. I ran the bike until I had 4 bars on temp gauge. Since the smell has only happened twice and was only evident at start-up and went away fairly quickly, the only thing I can think is that there were perfect conditions at those times for the smell. I inspected the gas cap gasket and didn't find anything. I will replace the gasket next. Does anyone know if you can find this gasket at an auto parts store? While taking the TW off, it seemed like there was some gas smell and possibly from the gas cap. I will put it back together and run it as at least the fuel delivery system is solid. If it ever happens again, I will immediately stop and investigate the situation.
 
Do the 1330 tank get as warm from the catalytic converter? Some 998 reported boiling gas. (& spewing when cap opened)
 
Do the 1330 tank get as warm from the catalytic converter? Some 998 reported boiling gas. (& spewing when cap opened)
I've done the Cat delete. The smell was before I started it but the tank was exposed to the sun and was being warmed by it! I will change the gasket if I can find one, or cap if need be.
 
What I have found on a number of Spyders is the fuel lines connected to the fuel filter developed fine cracks. You only see them when you bend the hose. When the hose gets hot it opens up the crack enough to allow seepage. The short hose is the one that goes first, but I have also had to replace longer ones as well.
The size of the hose is 7mm, or 5/16. Not many parts stores carry that size so I order from Amazon.
 
I found the same thing with the short hose and replaced it when I replaced the filter the first time. Mine the cracks were very visible. All the hoses today looked in very good shape. Thanks.
 
Back
Top